Juniper Networks, the industry leader in network innovation, has unveiled Firefly Suite, a virtualized security portfolio that provides granular, dynamic and secure connectivity for the private and public cloud. The suite introduces Firefly Perimeter, a virtual version of the Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateway, as well as Junos Space Virtual Director, an application that automates the management and deployment of Firefly Perimeter.
When combined with enhancements to Firefly Host, which provides hypervisor-based protection between virtual machines, the suite secures traffic within a virtualized data center as well as traffic to and from it. IT and security professionals are continually looking to deliver the benefits of virtualization and cloud technologies without undermining security. This requires finding ways to provide robust and granular protection for virtual machines (VM) that can meet the specific security requirements of different workloads, while also being deployed as quickly as a VM instance can be created.
The Firefly Suite proactively protects virtual workloads and applications in real-time with security intelligence, automation and unified control over virtual firewalls, enabling organizations to securely leverage these new cloud computing technologies.
Juniper Networks Firefly Suite can be easily embedded throughout the virtual environment including the hypervisor itself or as VMs connected to the various virtual networks, to provide tailored security, automation and control. This approach accelerates service rollout and increases application agility with granular protection that is highly scalable. Administrators will benefit from the rich automation capabilities supporting error-free deployment and unified management making it easy to create, attach and change security policies consistently across the network.
The Firefly Virtual Security Suite includes three major components:
- Juniper is introducing Firefly Perimeter, a new virtual and software-based version of the Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateway.
- Firefly Perimeter delivers high availability, granular security with segmentation capabilities between zones, organizations, lines of business and applications, as well as rich connectivity features like Network Address Translation (NAT), routing and VPN. Firefly Perimeter can be easily deployed and managed centrally or individually as a security VM for each department, application or tenant.
- Juniper Networks Contrail seamlessly integrates with Juniper’s flagship virtual firewall, Firefly Perimeter, to dynamically provision service-chained virtual and physical security services in cloud environments, which is the first of many Juniper SDN-enabled NFV security services that provides unparalleled performance, scale and coverage across virtualized data centers for enterprises and service providers.
Junos Space Virtual Director
- Also new with this release is Virtual Director, a new Junos Space application delivering full lifecycle management of Firefly Perimeter VMs.
- Junos Space Virtual Director is a lifecycle management application that enables organizations to automate provisioning and resource allocation of virtual machines associated with Firefly Perimeter VMs.
- This includes intuitive and easy-to-navigate and user interface with task-oriented workflows, pre-tested configuration, open APIs for integration with third-party management platforms.
- Firefly Host, formerly named vGW Virtual Gateway, is a purpose-built firewall for virtualization designed to protect intra-VM traffic.
- Firefly Host provides hypervisor-based stateful firewall for East-West traffic between virtual machines, including integrated intrusion detection (IDS), virtualization-specific antivirus (AV) protection and compliance tools, with management scale.
- Firefly Host is tightly integrated into the VMware hypervisor and VMware management framework.
- Synchronization of security policies across Firefly Host management centers provides automated policy management and granular control of VMs for multi-tenant environments with unparalleled performance in the industry.